You may have seen my video on how to whiten your teeth with charcoal, but did you know that its great for your skin too? With only a few simple ingredients, this charcoal face mask is quick and easy. You can get clearer skin, detox, and soften your skin with this simple DIY recipe. How
You may have seen my video on how to whiten your teeth with charcoal, but did you know that its great for your skin too? With only a few simple ingredients, this charcoal face mask is quick and easy. You can get clearer skin, detox, and soften your skin with this simple DIY recipe.
How to Make a Charcoal Face Mask
You can make a beauty treatment at home that rivals expensive natural beauty brands with only a few simple ingredients:
Bentonite Clay for Cleansing
Bentonite clay comes from aged volcanic ash sediment, and is used to attract, trap and remove toxins from the body. It’s the perfect addition to a cleansing face mask, as once mixed with water it will help to remove any impurities on the skin. On its own it can be a little drying, which is one reason why I’ve included raw honey in the recipe too.
Raw Honey for Soft Skin
If you’re a regular here at Wellness Mama, then you’ll already know how big a fan I am of raw honey. It can naturally sweeten desserts, soothe a burn, and is antibacterial. It’s useful for a face mask as it softens and soothes skin, and is antibacterial for anyone suffering from acne or blemishes. You can read more recipes and info on raw honey here.
Activated Charcoal to Detoxify
And now we come to the key ingredient. Charcoal is widely used in emergency settings if internal poisoning is suspected for its ability to absorb toxins. When applied to the face, charcoal will help to absorb toxins and impurities on the skin.
Essential Oils for Skin Health
Essential oils can be a helpful addition to DIY skincare recipes and play a variety of roles. This recipe uses tea tree and lavender essential oil in particular for their ability to purify the skin. Tea tree is commonly used for acne because of its antimicrobial properties. Lavender is commonly recommended for skin health. The overall concentration is low and there’s only ½ drop of each essential oil per face mask, but it’s enough to get results.
Charcoal Face Mask Recipe
Use your natural medicine cabinet supplies to whip up a gentle but detoxifying face mask suitable for most skin types.
Charcoal Mask Ingredients
Charcoal Mask Instructions
- In a small glass bowl add the water and essential oil.
- Sprinkle the bentonite clay over the top of the water mixture in the bow. Allow it to absorb for about 10 seconds before adding the rest of the ingredients. This makes the mixture easier to combine.
- Use a small rubber spatula to mash and mix everything together. The clay will want to stay lumpy, so this takes a few minutes to mix thoroughly. You’ll have enough mixture here for two face masks.
- Once your mask is mixed, apply it liberally to your face. Allow it to dry, about 10 minutes, before washing off with soap and warm water.
Note: This mask is meant to be used in one use and will not store well, as it does not contain preservatives.
- Charcoal can and will stain light-colored fabrics, and possibly your sink. Be sure to avoid getting it on your clothes, and immediately clean it off of your sink when using.
- This mask can be tough to get off, and gentle soap helps to get the rest of the charcoal off of your skin. Using a washcloth helps too, but it may permanently stain, so use an old one. A washcloth also scrubs the charcoal across the skin, which may be too irritating for some skin types.
- This charcoal face mask may be too drying for some skin types, especially after using soap to remove it. If you find your skin needs it, then apply a thin layer of oil, like sweet almond or pumpkin seed oil, or your favorite natural face lotion afterward.
What natural methods do you use to purify and detox your skin? Do you have a favorite detox face mask recipe?