728 x 90

OUR PACKAGING PROMISE: how we’re making our packaging even more planet-friendly

OUR PACKAGING PROMISE: how we’re making our packaging even more planet-friendly

Since launching in 2015, we’ve been on a mission to make healthy eating easy, while minimising our footprint on the planet and this remains at the heart of our business. In 2019 we removed 3.8 tonnes of single-use plastic from our supply chain. And this year we’re on a mission to make all of our

Since launching in 2015, we’ve been on a mission to make healthy eating easy, while minimising our footprint on the planet and this remains at the heart of our business.

In 2019 we removed 3.8 tonnes of single-use plastic from our supply chain. And this year we’re on a mission to make all of our packaging 100% recyclable and use home-compostable materials where possible. Keep reading to see what we’re busy working on, behind the scenes.

As a society, we’ve become dependant on plastic. For us, plastic currently plays an integral part in getting our amazing produce from farm to fork.

Why? Plastic is very good at protecting food from damage in transit, as well as extending shelf life – both very important for preventing food waste (one of the largest contributors to climate change!).  

What we’re doing to meet our 100% recyclable packaging promise

Greens glorious greens. We currently package our green leaves (rocket, spinach, you name it) in a BPA-free plastic that’s recyclable. We are also in the process of running large-scale tests on a biodegradable alternative with our supplier Valfresco. Read more here.

Tomatoes & mushrooms leading the way. It’s a careful balancing act finding sustainable packaging that also maintains quality and freshness – especially with our more fragile produce. Last year we found a solution for two of our veg, moving cherry tomatoes to cardboard punnets and mushrooms into compostable trays.

Salmon is almost there. Our fresh salmon fillets have recently changed to packaging which is 96% recyclable! The remaining 4% is the plastic film and we’re working very closely with our salmon supplier JCS on this. Read more here.

Egg-cellent news. Watch this space, we are in the process of moving our eggs into a new protective cardboard packaging – and trust us this is one of our biggest bugbears, but mailing eggs was never going to be easy. Over the last few weeks, we’ve sent thousands of new trial pots out in our orders.

Carbon neutral delivery. 100% of our deliveries are carried out with DPD, the UK’s leader in sustainable delivery! You can learn more about their green initiatives here.

Keep up to date with the latest packaging news by joining our secret Facebook Community facebook.com/groups/mindfulchef



[ad_2]

Source link

Susan E. Lopez
ADMINISTRATOR
PROFILE

Posts Carousel

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with *

Latest Posts

Top Authors

Most Commented

Featured Videos