8.24pm EDT20:24 Graham Readfearn Queensland’s premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warned on Sunday morning the state was “not out of the woods yet” despite reporting only two new cases of Covid-19 linked to an outbreak at a youth detention centre. Both cases – a woman in her 30s and an infant boy – were from the same
Queensland’s premier Annastacia Palaszczuk warned on Sunday morning the state was “not out of the woods yet” despite reporting only two new cases of Covid-19 linked to an outbreak at a youth detention centre.
Both cases – a woman in her 30s and an infant boy – were from the same family as a known case and had been already quarantining at their home west of Brisbane.
On Saturday morning, the state introduced new rules restricting the numbers of people who could gather in homes and outside to 10 people, but businesses and organisations with covid plans in place could continue to operate as they had been.
Palaszczuk said there were now nine cases in the cluster linked to the detention centre outbreak. The state had 16 active cases. Among 6,875 tests carried out in the previous 24 hours, 202 detention centre staff and 11 inmates had returned negative tests, with a further 20 results from inmates still to be returned.
Chief health officer Jeanette Young said the results of testing so far were good, because they showed the current cluster had not expanded. “But it’s too early for us to relax,” she said.
She said police had been out across the state tracking young people who had been discharged from the detention centre since 22 July.
Because staff and inmates had been previously unaware they were at risk of carrying the disease, people had been moving around different suburbs and locations.
She added: “This is why this cluster is a risk to us. We need to do a lot more testing.”
Queensland Health released a long list of locations with timeframes and asked anyone who visited those places at those times to get tested “if they develop even the mildest of Covid-19 symptoms.”
Melbourne set of The Masked Singer shut down after virus cases
Victoria confirms 208 cases and 17 deaths in last 24 hours
Health authorities in the Australian state of Queensland have confirmed two new cases of coronavirus on Sunday morning.
A woman in her 30s and an infant, both from the same family in the West Moreton area near Ipswich, had returned positive tests for the disease. The state now has 16 active cases.
The state is managing an outbreak of the virus that emerged from the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre at Wacol, west of Brisbane.