I know I might sound unromantic, but something in me rebels against commercialized holidays (like Valentine’s Day). My husband feels the same way so we don’t do a lot to mark the day. Every year hubby and I still plan to stay in for our usual at-home date night, but sometimes I cave (just a
I know I might sound unromantic, but something in me rebels against commercialized holidays (like Valentine’s Day). My husband feels the same way so we don’t do a lot to mark the day. Every year hubby and I still plan to stay in for our usual at-home date night, but sometimes I cave (just a little bit) and buy him a gift for fun.
You won’t find me buying a heart-shaped boxes of candy or flowers that will die in a couple of days, but I do have a few other ideas that have been a hit in the past or I’m thinking of trying this year…
Let’s Upgrade Valentine’s Day Giving This Year!
I love days that are reminders to tell my husband and kids how much I love and appreciate them. But this particular holiday has become a tribute to candy and store-bought goods that lose their value after a couple of days.
We all feel the need to spend a lot of money on expensive dates and gifts because a marketing team has decided that Valentine’s Day is a great time for flower and candy sales.
If you are going to spend $126 on Valentine’s Day (the average according to Business Insider… does anyone actually do that?!) I have some gift ideas that will bring lasting health and happiness, not just a temporary sugar rush!
Gifts That Say “I Love You”
My husband and I actually stopped giving expensive gifts when we got married, partially for financial reasons and partially to give ourselves a reason to be more creative and thoughtful with our gifts. As a result, I have a file with hand-written letters and mementos from creative dates we’ve had over the years that mean so much more than a box of chocolates ever could.
The best gifts of all, in my opinion, are quality time or shared experiences. This is what I’ll be giving my family this year and would encourage you to consider it as well! Here’s a list of all of my favorite experiences to give as gifts, but I have some Valentine’s-specific ideas too!
My Favorite Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
If you want to give an actual gift this year, these are some of my favorite ideas that your recipient will love, and you can feel great about giving!
Couples’ Gift Ideas
We often choose to purchase one higher quality gift we both can enjoy rather than giving separate gifts. This way, we can get a slightly pricier item and both enjoy it for months or years to come. Some of our favorites are:
- Myobuddy – One of our favorite gifts ever! This is a combination percussive massage, infrared heat, and myofascial release in one device. So relaxing and part of our daily routine now. p.s. Myobuddy is offering a Valentine’s special for Wellness Mama readers: $200 off the Couple’s Massage Pack (or other packs of equal value) with code MAMA200 or $100 off the Myobuddy Massager Pro with code MAMA100!
- Joovv – Another joint gift that has become part of our daily routine. Red light therapy has many benefits (though I use it mostly for the skin and hair boost). This post explains what red light therapy (also known as photobiomodulation) is and why it works.
- Sauna – We call our sauna “the quiet box” and escaping for a few minutes of quiet time and infrared heat is a double win for us each day. Sauna therapy has some well-documented benefits and is also relaxing.
- Wine – Wine is already a popular Valentine’s Day Gift, but many wines contain added sugars, artificial colors, or flavors, or some other strange things you wouldn’t expect to find in wine. We’re big wine fans but now we stick to Dry Farm Wines, which are lab-tested, lower alcohol, sugar-free, and don’t have any questionable additives.
- Chemex – I love our glass Chemex coffeemaker. It makes coffeehouse quality pour-over coffee at home.
- Alitura Face & Body – This line uses the best organic skincare ingredients for you can imagine, plus the unisex scent means we can both use it, which means less to store on the bathroom counter! (Use the code WELLNESS for 20% off.)
- Q&A a Day for Couples Book – A book with a question a day for couples to read and answer together. (It is a follow up to the popular Q&A a Day for Kids book.) A great conversation started and fun 5-minute daily activity.
- Shiatsu Massage Pillow – Less than the price of one actual massage and SO relaxing!
- Organic Cotton Robe – I got this organic cotton robe for Christmas and love it! So soft and the belt is attached so I don’t lose it.
- Royally Flawless Facial Moisturizer – Give the gift of gorgeous skin! I love this facial oil with the highest quality ingredients and no junk!
- RTIC Tumbler – I love this for hot and cold drinks and it is a reusable non-plastic drink cup.
- 10,000 Lux Happy Light – Feel blue this winter? I use this super-bright “happy light” to keep my cortisol levels healthy.
- Dry Brush – Brushing isn’t just for hair and teeth. Brushing skin can help it stay smooth, supple, and may improve collagen.
- French Press Coffee Maker – Nothing says love more than coffee! (Coffee = my love language!)
- Pique Tea – If coffee’s not her thing or she likes to mix it up! This tea tastes delicious and helps gut health as well.
- Grown-up Coloring Book and Markers – Grown-up coloring books are surging in popularity and studies show coloring may reduce stress levels.
- Fire Starter Kit – He can “light your fire” literally with this tool to start fires without matches or a lighter.
- Smart Wool Socks – Warm socks that are great for summer or winter.
- Surefire Flashlight – Really high quality pocket flashlight.
- Wine Aerator – Wine = one of my husband’s love languages!
- Saddleback Leather Wallet – This wallet has a 100 year warranty!! (yes, really!)
- Beard Oil– Great option for the bearded man in your life!
- Defender Pad – Protect his lap from EMFs when he uses the laptop.
- Tactical Pen – More than just a pen, it works in all conditions and can break a car window if a person is trapped.
- Whiskey Stones – Freeze these rocks to use in place of ice in drinks “on the rocks.”
Homemade Gift Ideas
Rather make a gift? Try these easy homemade gifts:
- A Great Massage – Get this digital massage course and learn how to give your love a great massage at home! Cheaper than a massage package and great because you also get quality time together! Don’t worry, it is all PG rated! Make homemade massage butter to go with the gift!
- Homemade Chocolate: If you are going to do the chocolate thing, why not make some gourmet chocolate that is actually good for you? This is my favorite homemade recipe made with cocoa butter and raw honey. You can also top with a bit of sea salt for a salted version, or add a drop of food-grade peppermint essential oil for a mint flavor. This recipe also works really well for making chocolate-covered strawberries (or other fruit) or as a magic shell topping for homemade ice cream.
- A Creative and Fun Date: I share my 7 top favorite unusual date ideas in this post, but anything that gets you out of the house and breaks up the norm can be fun. I once made a scavenger hunt for my husband where he got one clue when he got in his car after work, and each clue led him to a new clue until he finally got to the date place (picnic outside and we played frisbee). In the long run, it will be the creative dates and the time spent together that they remember, not the expensive gifts or dates!
- Homemade Lotion Bars: Lotion bars are a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day. They are completely natural and can be customized for men or women. Make in silicone molds in any shape to create a bouquet of lotion bar flowers (with a mold like this one) or stick with a simple bar for guys (like this one).
How do you celebrate Valentine’s Day? Do any of these ideas sound like something you’ll try? Share below!